As mentioned on the previous page, one of the advantages of Report Builder is that it is not a traditional piece of software which needs to be installed from a physical copy. This means that it is much easier for the IT Team to share the software around the network. Here are the steps to activating it on your computer.Requirements
There are not many requirements to installing Report Builder on your computer but there are a few. These are:
Installing Report Builder
- You must be using a copy of Windows XP, Vista or 7 and it cannot be the 'Home' version. Instead it must be one of the higher versions such as Professional, Business, Ultimate, etc depending on which copy you are running.
- You will need something called the Dot Net Framework 3.5 or later (the current version is 4.0) installed in Windows. Depending on which version of Windows you are using this will probably already be installed as it comes with some of the automatic Service Pack updates which Microsoft provides.
If you do not have it installed you will be told when trying to download Report Builder and be provided with a link to download and install the Framework. However, if you run into problems you can find the most up-to-date version at http://www.microsoft.com/net/download.aspx
- To use Report Builder, you must use Internet Explorer web browser only. Other web browsers, you will only be able to 'view' the report only. Not modifying/editing any contents.
- If you're using Internet Explorer 9.0, please follow screen shot at the bottom of this page to disable 'Compatibility View' function. If you leave this Compatibility View enabled, you will not be able to install Report Builder on your computer!
- To start the process, in Windows open Internet Explorer and navigate to http://afsdw.afsglobal.org/reports
- You will now be prompted to sign in. To do this, sign in with:
Username: IOC code so an example would be INT or MEX
Password: Your partner ODBC password (the password you use in Crystal Reports to refresh reports)
NOTE: remember to check the 'Remember my credentials'
- You will now be authenticated into the Report Builder Site (an altered version of this can be found in AFS Global under the Reports tab which will be discussed in later pages).
Once it has opened click on the 'Report Builder' option in the top menu banner and a pop-up box will displayed asking you to accept a download. If you do not have an up-to-date copy of Windows you will also be prompted with links to download any additional updates.
From here it is a automated process. The Report Builder plugin will download and install and you simply need to click 'OK' or 'Next' on any prompt boxes which are shown. Once the install is complete Report Builder should load automatically. You can close it by clicking on the X at the top right corner of the screen.
If you're using Internet Explorer 9.0, the installation will not be possible as Internet Explorer will not allow downloading of the any programs from any websites. You will get this error message screen, despite of the fact that you already have Microsoft .NET 3.5 installed.
If you're using Internet Explorer 9.0, enable Compatibility View through steps below.
- Press ALT-T on your keyboard to activate standard Windows menu
- Then, click at Compatibility View Settings menu.
- Make sure that you have enabled/selected Display all websites in Compatibility View selection. Once this is selected, you will be able to install Report Builder.
- If necessary, come back to this screen and disable the All Websites if you face troubles with other websites